Adfly is auto destroying itself

Talk about anything related to adf.ly here
Forum rules
If you post adf.ly links here, YOUR AdF.ly ACCOUNT WILL BE SUSPENDED! Do Not post adult links!!
madfly

Re: Adfly is auto destroying itself

Postby madfly » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:40 pm

I have searched on google and couldn't find anything about it regarding youtube and facebook. Can you elaborate?
From what I've heard of and what I've experienced myself, the scareware ads issue is specific to adfly. And this has been a very long standing issue since you can find videos about it from years ago to recently.

To us it seems adfly is not trying hard enough to prevent these campaigns.

Please consider opening an "adfly business" service that guarantees safe and family friendly ads. I'm sure a lot of sites that don't want to deal with users complaining about bad ads could use that. I am myself currently looking for an alternative that offers solid guarantees about the ads, and if I find one, I'll use it.

ricmetal

Postby ricmetal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:48 pm

madfly wrote:And how do you know this is a malware or is even related to adfly?

first, being malware is not the point. a .exe being downloaded without permission is not cool, nor happens unless it's bullshitware.
and second, you don't have to be smart to connect the dots when you see a .exe download as soon as you click "skip ad" and the adf.ly publisher page loads.

please, don't go on about up to date antivirus and wrong windows version. you can spare me the internet 101. this is not the first time adf.ly page loads download some shit.

Xellon wrote:@everyone we always check, and make sure ads are not virus infected and we do have people monitoring the campaigns. However, there is nothing we can do when people change the code on their website while the campaign is running. If you have suggestions for this, we're all ears.

seriously? you can't block a campaign from being edited once it's accepted? if push comes to shove disable the "save" button the publisher most likely has access to, to edit an existing campaign. it's just a few characters of code and a database call.

madfly wrote:I have searched on google and couldn't find anything about it regarding youtube and facebook.

xelon means yt video descriptions having links that point to malware.

ricmetal

Postby ricmetal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 pm

the difference between youtube and adf.ly zelon, is that on adf.ly we have no choice but to click the "skip ad" button, as opposed to a yt video description, where people choose to click or can't spot the "fishy".

ricmetal

Postby ricmetal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:57 pm

you know where you can go to tell the adf.ly techies to learn how to set up a working system? go to easy hits for you. if loads tons of publisher pages. not once have i a had any problem with a page other than eventually being a frame breaker. and even then, their system catches the break and asks to report. so it's not hard to have a good working system, it's just a matter of wanting to.

ricmetal

Postby ricmetal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 pm

can't adf.ly set up a system where adf.ly creates a copy of the publisher website and have the copy checked against the live website. if they differ you don't show the website?

ricmetal

Postby ricmetal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:16 pm

ar at least, for each website change, load the website and check for re-directs or downloads, or anything that can be construed as unwanted behavior.

patrick

Postby patrick » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Please stop blaming people for not having an antivirus or for using torrent. It's like saying if someone steals your bag because it's on the seat next to you it's your fault for not holding it in your arms.

Xellon wrote:@everyone we always check, and make sure ads are not virus infected and we do have people monitoring the campaigns. However, there is nothing we can do when people change the code on their website while the campaign is running. If you have suggestions for this, we're all ears.

Automatically download a page every day and check if the code has been modified. If it has, block it automatically until you've verified it's safe. Often the easiest solution is the best ;)

Xellon
Forum Admin

Postby Xellon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:28 am

Just an ex. For youtube, its the users. But for google, some malicious ads slip through from scammers (and there are google ads all over youtube and the web). The one that caused a panic was the amazon spoof.

Yea, it wasn't amazon, but a duplicate and lead to scareware site. Ofc, its not there at the present day. There are similar ads today that are fake (google how to make money online and check the ads there for ex refresh the page to see more). You really just can't keep track of website changes. For ex, I paid last month $50 to google for advertising and my site was approved. I could of replaced my index.html and they would of never knew. Most people will say its not against their terms either, your just responsible for your account if it gets banned later.

Same thing here for adfly but we're better off since google has ads on a larger scale. Google will tell you yes they monitor the ads but no telling how well or how often. Its best to say that if you changed ur site as it was approved and its against the tos, they probably wouldn't notice till a week later or unless several people report it. Perhaps this clarify what I was trying to say earlier?

Someone mentioned easy4hits. I used it before. The reason that site doesn't have much issues is cause there is hardly anything to gain there and the traffic is no where near as high as adfly. The fact that adfly is ranked world wide in the 1xx makes it a better target (dang... last year were were ranked 72, quite a drop). Our competitors don't even compare either... they just bit off us after all....

Honestly, I don't think there is anything anyone can do about this, not even google. There are ways to auto track changes with user approval but doubt any business would appreciate their site being spied on 24/7. Doing it without permission is against the privacy policy and could lead to legal action.

Only thing we can do is ban their account and their bank info so they can't do it again (unless they use a new bank).

sorry for the late reply, I've been busy. :(

edit - @ricmetal yea man... high chance that auto download was on your end. consider installing malwarbytes on a usb stick on a different computer... no a different computer on a different network (like a public library or a friends house and not a 2nd computer from home). Then start your computer in safe mode with networking and run the program. Safe mode only lets needed programs to run so networking enabled should be safe. Run CCcleaner as well. Also, just a malwarbyrtes scan isn't enough really.....

Unwanted auto downloads should be stopped by your browser. No way they will run on their own since you have to hit yes or no as admin to approve instillation. If this is not the case, take precautions.

ricmetal

Postby ricmetal » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Xellon wrote:edit - @ricmetal yea man... high chance that auto download was on your end.

what do you mean my end?

ricmetal

Postby ricmetal » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:02 pm

just for clarification though: the .exe didn't run. it auto downloaded.
i run multiple AV and other "ware" detectors.
the fact that more than once a .exe has downloaded when visiting adf.ly is suspicious and something i don't see as coincidence, nor on my end.
last time this happened i was doing nothing other than visiting the ad. no other tabs, anything.

and unrespecting people's privacy, in not spying on their website for when it's changed is something you can place in adf.ly disclaimer. publishers only accept if they want.

Return to “Adf.ly Talk”